Sunday, 15 June 2008

I miss trains...

Handwritten on Thursday 12th June at 10am

I'm on the train from my hotel in Greenlane to Britomart in Auckland (I'm here with work) and I've realised I miss trains!
This is the first train I've been on in New Zealand (& yes, it will be 3 years here at the end of this month...crazy, huh?)
There is something relaxing about the sound of the train on the tracks and the slight rocking of the carriage.
Don't get me wrong - I don't think I could go back to a daily train journey but every now and again it would be nice to sit back and stare into space as I journey to work (rather then fight that manic Palmy traffic...yeah right!)
Of course, the train I'm on was 10 nminutes late and I couldn't be doing with going on some train company's timetable every day - that's just too annoying - but while I sit here today I'm grateful for being on a train once again and having that feeling of being chauffered to my destination giving me time to do and think whatever I want (within reason).
Maybe the fact that I am writing these thoughts down rather then staring blankly at the scenery as it flashes by or the groovy colourful pattern on the seat covers means I am just not equipped to be a train commuter anymore.
Wow - I can see the Sky Tower! I'm off to have an adventure in Auckland knowing I'll (hopefully) be back in safe, quiet, comforting Palmerston North later tonight.

PS - how badly do I need an iPhone so I could write and post this blog message live from the train...that would be so cool!

No comments: